There will be lots of Seaweek 2018 events happening in Waikato and full details will be posted here as we receive them. Contact the Waikato Regional Coordinator if you’d like to organise an event: Maria Murphy – email: email@example.com, phone: 07 260 2005 / 027 699 2001
|If you attend a Seaweek 2018 event you can win a copy of The Collins Field Guide to the NZ Seashore by completing one of our online Event Reports to tell us what you enjoyed about the event.|
Seaweek 2018 Events
- Young Ocean Explorers Seaweek Schools Competition
- Fish4all Seaweek 2018 Poetry Competition
- Cathedral Cove Snorkel Day – Sunday 25 February 2018
- Maui Dolphin Day 2018 and Recycled Raft Race – Saturday 3 March 2018
- Community Beach Clean – Sunday 11 March
Date: Sunday 11 March 2018
Time: 9am – 3pm
Location: North of Te Kaha/Mussel Rock. Meet at Raglan Roast on Vulcan Lane 9am Sunday morning, for safety briefing and to organise carpooling and boat transport.
It’s clean up time!
In response to Tim‘s post highlighting the rubbish on the beaches north of Te Kaha/Mussel rock, let’s get together to clean this mess up!
We’re going to take to the water!
* We’ll all boat or kayak across from Bow St Jetty to the northern side of the harbour and walk up the beach (collecting rubbish as they go) for approx an hour to meet at the clean up site.
(If you’re not up for a big hike, you can scour the beaches across the harbour – still plenty to clean up there!)
Once we’ve all made to the site, we’ll start collecting all rubbish we can find.
Please bring water, food/snacks/suitable clothing & footwear.
9am – meet at Vulcan Lane – for briefing/transport arrangements.
9.30am – boats set off
11am – both groups meet on site to start the collection
1.30pm – leave site
3pm – back in Raglan
We’d love to have a few keen photographers or drone operators join to record the day if poss!
Shout out to:
– Raglan Backpackers for providing free kayaks for keen/experienced paddlers
– Xtreme Zero Waste for disposing of everything we collect and leading the audit
– Whaingaroa Environment Centre for admin/promo support
– WOK – Whaingaroa Organic Kai for donating a crate of yummy organic apples
– Nenya Chapman our designated first aider
– organising team Phil Knight , Mark Frost & Ian Hardie and Tim Duff for kicking this off!!
Image: Experiencing Marine Reserves
Date: Sunday 25 February 2018
Time: 10am – 3pm
Location: Cathedral Cove. Meet at the Cathedral Cove carpark for registration.
Free guided snorkeling for all the family. All equipment and guides provided by Experiencing Marine Reserves.
Snorkel Te Whanganui-A-Hei Marine Reserve, Gemstone Bay.
The top car park is closed, you will need to walk up or be dropped off.
With a back up location of Flaxmill Bay.
Date: Saturday 3 March 2018
Time: 11am – 3pm
Location: Te Kopua Domain / Papahua – Raglan
Contact: Anna Cunningham email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Maui Dolphin Day is Raglan’s community festival celebrating our marine environment and our smallest, cutest neighbors – the Maui Dolphin.
Come and share some food, play some games, listen to some great music and enjoy the wet and wild Recycled Raft Race, whilst supporting our local community organisations. MC’d by the one and only X-Man.
Raft Race starts at 11:45am. If you want to register a raft, contact email@example.com.
See you there!
Why not grab a Marine Metre Squared kit and go out to discover what lives on your local shore?